top of page

Funding Care

We understand that receiving care at home, although your preference, might seem out of the question due to cost but this isn't necessarily the case as there are often many unconsidered funding options available.


We can help you find a solution that suits both your family and your finances. 

live in

Government Funding

The Government and local authorities provide financial assistance, advice and other forms of support to elderly, sick and disabled people who need help with their personal care or nursing. Assistance may vary between different areas of the UK.

personal care

Social Services Support and ‘Direct Payments’

Whilst nursing care at home is the responsibility of the NHS, your local Social Services can arrange and may fund, fully or partially, the cost of any additional care you may need although this is dependant on your income and savings. 

For care in your own home, unlike residential care, the value of your home is not considered and any savings or investments that are below certain limits will not be counted. The thresholds can vary depending on the area. The Council will then work out how much you may need to pay towards the cost of providing you with care.

NHS Continuing Care

Did you know that nursing and healthcare care needs are entitled to be funded ‘in any setting’ – including in your own home and health authorities are obliges to consider your wishes? A brief clinical assessment will inform your local health authority whether your health needs meet their criteria for funding and will give you the opportunity to express your wishes whether that is live-in care or respite care for your partner. 

Continuing Care is valued based on your needs outlined in a Care Needs Assessment and may pay in excess of £1,000 per week if you have high care requirements. Not everyone with ongoing health needs is eligible and often they only consider those suffering from a serious life-limiting or terminal condition although this isn't always the case so it's worth asking the question.

As a guide, ‘eligible’ health needs may include (but are not limited to):

  • complex medical conditions that need additional care and support

  • long-term medical conditions

  • physical or mental disabilities

  • terminal illnesses

  • rapidly deteriorating health

  • mobility problems

same day

Attendance Allowance

For those over 65 needing a bit of help with personal care, Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit not affected by savings and is usually unaffected by any other income you may have.

24 hr

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a taxable benefit for people such as friends and family members who look after someone who gets Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. Extra expenses can be claimed for paying a third party to provide care while you are out.

Telephone your Local Benefits Office or 0845 712 3456 for more information or pick up the leaflets on Carer’s Allowance from Job Centres, Pension Centres and Social Security Offices.


Pension and Savings Credit

Pension Credit is an income related non-taxed benefit made up of 'Guarantee Credit' and 'Savings Credit'. Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income, if it is below the threshold in place at the time, and Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who have saved some money towards their retirement, for example, a pension. 


Personal Independence Payments

For people aged between 16 and 64 who need help with everyday life or those who have limited mobility, the PIP is made up of Daily Living and Mobility. Depending on your score from the assessment you will receive a relative weekly payment. If you are currently receiving the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you will be asked to attend an assessment sometime over the next couple of years. In some cases, the PIP may pay more than the DLA and it may be in your interest to request an early assessment. Telephone your Local Benefits Office or 0845 712 3456 for more information.


Independent Living Fund

The top-up fund that works in conjunction with Social Services. The Independent Living Fund (ILF) pays grants to disabled people with high support needs who wish to live independently. ILF disregards your earnings and that of your partner so you can earn without losing any funding. Phone 0845 601 8815 for more information.


Benefits Enquiry Line 0800 882 200
A confidential telephone service for people with disabilities, their representatives and carers.

bottom of page